Hey folks - as a member of the Landof10 Ohio State community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)
- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, be respectful when engaging with fellow Buckeye fans.
- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

Buckeyes offer 2018 QB Matt Baldwin

Colorado State commit who visited this past weekend. He's from Lake Travis HS in Austin, Texas.

Check out his senior year tape here, it's pretty darn good.

Comments

• JDunc686JDunc686 Posts: 79 Junior
    Birm, what are the chances we get a little more in-depth analysis on this player as a recruit? I am interested in reading more about his strengths and what he might need to work on as well as discussing his ranking versus the typical ranking for an OSU QB recruit.
  • SGbuckeyeSGbuckeye Posts: 4 Freshman
    Watched his film. What am I missing? This kid looks better than Colorado State. A bunch of P5 teams missing the boat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 admin
    JDunc686 said:
    Birm, what are the chances we get a little more in-depth analysis on this player as a recruit? I am interested in reading more about his strengths and what he might need to work on as well as discussing his ranking versus the typical ranking for an OSU QB recruit.
    I can only tell you that some folks I've talked to close to OSU think he's got the best tape they've seen this year. Sat behind Charlie Brewer, a 3-year guy who is now a freshman at Baylor, so there wasn't much info on him before.

Decent athlete, great ball placement and above-average footwork and touch/zip. Really interesting player. 
  • JDunc686JDunc686 Posts: 79 Junior
    Birm said:
    JDunc686 said:
    I can only tell you that some folks I've talked to close to OSU think he's got the best tape they've seen this year. Sat behind Charlie Brewer, a 3-year guy who is now a freshman at Baylor, so there wasn't much info on him before.

Decent athlete, great ball placement and above-average footwork and touch/zip. Really interesting player. 
    Thank you, Birm!
  • sflabuckeye13sflabuckeye13 Posts: 14 Freshman
    edited November 2017
    Birm, what’s your feeling on the QB situation right now? 
    Birm, what’s your feeling on the QB situation right now? 
    It's clear OSU is operating under the "Go get one, maybe two" mindset. Whether one of them is Emory Jones only he knows.
  • buckeyefan4lifebuckeyefan4life Posts: 1 Freshman
    How interested is he?
  • NutjobNutjob Posts: 5 Freshman
    Urban seems to force the issue here on the QB position.  Burrow and Haskins are not true dual threat QBs.  Neither is Baldwin.  Burrow should win the QB derby next season because he doesn't make the mistakes that Haskins does.  Haskins needs to become a better student of the game as he is the master of the three and out, and that won't cut it. 
  • PotatodiggerPotatodigger Posts: 336 Junior
    I remember last year Urban said something like, "we don't recruit against Missouri." And yet, now it appears we're recruiting against Colorado State. 
    I remember last year Urban said something like, "we don't recruit against Missouri." And yet, now it appears we're recruiting against Colorado State. 
    I don't think you understood the context of his quote or you're intentionally trolling.
  • AlumAlum Posts: 145 Junior
    intentionally trolling.

Birm said:
    I don't think you understood the context of his quote or you're intentionally trolling.
    Here's the context (talking about Ezekiel Elliott):

Meyer: "Well, how good is he, really? Man, Stan. We're fighting Mizzou. Ohio State doesn't recruit against Mizzou. I'm sitting here looking at this kid. He's a man amongst boys. Is he Ohio State caliber."

Seems clear to me that Meyer was questioning whether Zeke was "Ohio State caliber" because he was committd to Missouri, a school beneath Ohio State and, thus, not a school that Ohio State recruits against.

I'm certainly not the only one who interpreted it that way because I know a lot of comments at the time talked about the "shade" being thrown toward Mizzou by Meyer. 

What am I missing?
  • jumarjumar Posts: 281 Junior
    Alum said:
    intentionally trolling.

PD is a professional troll.
    Image result for not that theres anything wrong with that gif
    Here's a sampling of comments in response to Meyer's "Ohio State doesn't recruit against Mizzou" line:

"Just laughed at my desk about his one. Classic."

"I'd like to report shots fired."

"I think it means if they offer a Missouri commit they'd expect him to pretty much just say 'Ohio State is calling?' 'See ya Missou!'"

"Wonder what Mizzou fans feel about that statement."

"Man, what an incredibly arrogant thing to say. I LOVE IT."
  • JbuckhamJbuckham Posts: 2 Freshman

Here's a sampling of comments in response to Meyer's "Ohio State doesn't recruit against Mizzou" line

I think this recruitment would be a lot closer to the late recruitment of Elijah Gardiner last year, and not Zeke's recruitment. I don't think that scenario, nor this one, was truly recruiting against Mizzou or Colorado St. These are situations where OSU comes around and offers a kid, and either they are intrigued and jump at the chance of the better opportunity, or they are happy to be where they are already committed. It either seems to be a no-brainer for the kid either way, and there isn't any recruiting or fighting for OSU to do.

Also, Urban has a tendency to say things for laughs with the media. While I'm sure Urban wasn't pleased with fighting off Mizzou at the last second for Zeke, I highly doubt he thought of dropping the chase just because of who Zeke was also considering.
    Jbuckham said:

Here's a sampling of comments in response to Meyer's "Ohio State doesn't recruit against Mizzou" line

I think this recruitment would be a lot closer to the late recruitment of Elijah Gardiner last year, and not Zeke's recruitment. I don't think that scenario, nor this one, was truly recruiting against Mizzou or Colorado St. These are situations where OSU comes around and offers a kid, and either they are intrigued and jump at the chance of the better opportunity, or they are happy to be where they are already committed. It either seems to be a no-brainer for the kid either way, and there isn't any recruiting or fighting for OSU to do.

Also, Urban has a tendency to say things for laughs with the media. While I'm sure Urban wasn't pleased with fighting off Mizzou at the last second for Zeke, I highly doubt he thought of dropping the chase just because of who Zeke was also considering.
    Urban did not make these comments to the media. This was an internal communication between coaches that was revealed to the media earlier this year. 
  • KidBuckeyeKidBuckeye Posts: 28 Freshman
    "we don't recruit against Missouri." 
    My take on this is that Urban said it meaning that they do not talk badly about another school but only tell recruits about why TOSU is the place for them to commit, ergo they do not recruit against another school. 
  • MikeDoss2foreverMikeDoss2forever Posts: 36 Freshman
    Birm CB'd Baldwin to tOSU. 
  • AustinWardAustinWard Posts: 118 mod
    I've had several conversations with Meyer and the staff about the Zeke recruitment, and I think it was more out of frustration down the stretch when it no longer seemed like a surefire bet that he was coming to Columbus. When the drama picked up, Meyer was definitely willing to walk away, including when he was sick and in town watching Elliott play basketball. It wasn't necessarily a knock on Mizzou specifically, although it does read that way.
  • NutjobNutjob Posts: 5 Freshman
    I like Matt Baldwin as a QB. His senior tape is really good. Urban said he wants to coach players he likes and I don't blame him.  Baldwin seems to be a high IQ kid too so if he became a Buckeye, it is good with me instead of these high publicity QBs playing recruiting games.