Hey folks - as a member of the Landof10 Ohio State community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)
- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, be respectful when engaging with fellow Buckeye fans.
- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

When is it okay to use handicap-accessible seating at a restaurant?

PotatodiggerPotatodigger Posts: 203 Junior
edited October 5 in General
At In-n-Out Burger, most of their seating is booths or tables with affixed chairs. But they usually have one or two tables with chairs that are moveable. These tables are marked with a blue handicap sign to signify handicap-accessibility. I'm wondering what the consensus is on when, if ever, it is okay for a person who doesn't need the accessibility to sit at these tables. 

When is it okay to use handicap-accessible seating at a restaurant? 5 votes

Anytime. First Come, first served.
20%
Oyster 1 vote
Anytime, but must move if requested or if person in wheelchair enters restaurant.
0%
Only as a last resort when no other seating is available, and must move if requested or if person in wheelchair enters restaurant.
20%
QuadCitiesBuckeye 1 vote
Never. Handicap-accessible tables are just like handicap-accessible parking stalls.
60%
GullyFoylejumarKidBuckeye 3 votes

Comments

• GullyFoyleGullyFoyle Posts: 28 Freshman
    Never. Handicap-accessible tables are just like handicap-accessible parking stalls.
    When you're handicapped!
  • PotatodiggerPotatodigger Posts: 203 Junior
    When you're handicapped!

This seems to be the safest approach. I'm more of a booth guy, myself, so it's never really an issue. But I routinely see able-bodied folk sitting at these tables so I was curious what the norm is.

In a lot of ways these tables are similar to handicap bathroom stalls and handicap seating on public transportation. There seems to be no clear consensus. With respect to the latter, there are usually signs that say to yield your seat to someone who needs it, which certainly implies that it's okay to sit in them until needed. But I often see people standing even when these seats are available. As for the former, people seem to routinely use the larger bathroom stalls even if there are other "regular" stalls available. In fact, I'm not sure that I have ever seen someone waiting for a "regular" stall when the handicap-accessible stall is available. Definitely not at a sporting event where lines are involved.