Hey folks - as a member of the Landof10 Ohio State community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)
- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, be respectful when engaging with fellow Buckeye fans.
- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

Jeremiah Francis commits to North Carolina...

BirmBirm Posts: 615 admin
Buckeyes 2019 basketball class takes a major hit.

Comments

• BirmBirm Posts: 615 admin
    Birm said:
    Buckeyes 2019 basketball class takes a major hit.

• QuadCitiesBuckeyeQuadCitiesBuckeye Posts: 147 Junior

I may not like the decision, but I'm not gonna hate on a teenager for doing what he thinks is best for himself.
  • sb97sb97 Posts: 67 Freshman
    Ouch, this one is a bit of a killer.  Sure there are lots of other players out there but these are the battles we are supposed to win. 
  • JDunc686JDunc686 Posts: 57 Sophomore
    sb97 said:
    Ouch, this one is a bit of a killer.  Sure there are lots of other players out there but these are the battles we are supposed to win. 
    This is definitely a let-down but I don't look at this as a battle we are supposed to win, yet. I would use Tuf Borland as a comparison, he was a Wisconsin legacy but when Ohio State football comes knocking you can't be surprised at the result.
  • SCBuckeye10SCBuckeye10 Posts: 4 Freshman
    Hopefully future UNC probation equals Francis to OSU
  • jumarjumar Posts: 245 Junior
    JDunc686 said:
    sb97 said:
    This is definitely a let-down but I don't look at this as a battle we are supposed to win, yet. I would use Tuf Borland as a comparison, he was a Wisconsin legacy but when Ohio State football comes knocking you can't be surprised at the result.
    Agreed. Maybe after the program is back at the top of the B1G we can go back to expecting the best in-state players to stay. The basketball program does not have the same prestige as the football program. Hopefully Holtmann can help to turn it around.
  • Buck2theboneBuck2thebone Posts: 5 Freshman
    I'm a Buckeye fan living in Durham N.C. Home of Duke. 20 miles from U.N.C. in Chapel Hill. Folks around here live for their round ball like we do for football. But their all packed together with N.C. State being within 15 miles. I've seen near riots during match-ups around here. I would of loved to have seen this kid with us, but I understand his choice this is the hotbed of basketball.
    I understand the draw of UNC basketball but... Part of Gene Smith's stated reason for moving on from Thad Matta was that we were missing out on Ohio recruiting battles.  
  • BucksLANBucksLAN Posts: 122 Junior
    sb97 said:
    I understand the draw of UNC basketball but... Part of Gene Smith's stated reason for moving on from Thad Matta was that we were missing out on Ohio recruiting battles.  
    It's hard to pin that on Holtmann.
    BucksLAN said:
    sb97 said:
    It's hard to pin that on Holtmann.
    I am not trying to pin anything on Holtman or his staff but it is why I called the situation "a bit of a killer".  

Lets be clear here.  I am not trying to say Holtmann is doing a bad job or anything.  Jeremiah Francis was clear that Ohio State put in a lot of effort to get him.  Part of recruiting is momentum.  Holtmann and co did a great job closing out the 2017 class but we are struggling in 2018.  I was hoping to see us land a commitment here soon and start a bit of a domino effect as guys from 2018 and 2019 want to get on board.  By all accounts, Francis was an important target for the Buckeyes.  He is in a position of need.  He is an Ohio State legacy.  He lives close to campus.  He is the top rated player in the state for his year.  For all of those reasons missing out on him is a bit of a killer when you think about it in terms of recruiting momentum.