Hey folks - as a member of the Landof10 Ohio State community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)
- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, be respectful when engaging with fellow Buckeye fans.
- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

Tate Martell looking good in practice

RyanGinnRyanGinn Posts: 158 mod

Comments

• BuckeyeKnightBuckeyeKnight Posts: 204 Junior
    Future Tate gif?

• BucksLANBucksLAN Posts: 122 Junior
    I keep lobbying that he deserves some snaps this year in a situational, wild cat package. Get him in there and let him run zone read options left and right to spell JT and throw defenses off.
  • PotatodiggerPotatodigger Posts: 203 Junior
    @710 is going to hate this story ...
  • Dalelliott1512Dalelliott1512 Posts: 53 Freshman
    BucksLAN said:
    I keep lobbying that he deserves some snaps this year in a situational, wild cat package. Get him in there and let him run zone read options left and right to spell JT and throw defenses off.
    I'd rather save him and RS him because I feel like Burrow or Haskins will transfer eventually.
  • WouldWould Posts: 85 Sophomore
     He is a RS It would take a few injuries to change that, But watch ot next year, players love guys who play like that and he is a proven winner on the field. I can easily see a Tebow play set for him next year.
  • BuckeyeNickBuckeyeNick Posts: 155 Junior
    I bet he plays limited role this year.  Pull out all the weapons now or they will leave. Play everyone if they can play.  So much talent you have to use what can help.  
  • 710710 Posts: 170 Junior
    @710 is going to hate this story ...

Hardly. I like the kid a lot. If he manages to push through both Burrow and Haskins to earn PT this season that'll speak volumes about him and who will be our starter for the next 2 seasons. 

I'm not going to make a big deal out of a few comments made about a scrimmage though. Don't forget he is still wearing a contact jersey because he hasn't earned the right to wear a non-contact one, and still isn't comfortable in the pocket per Coach Wilson. 
    edited August 6
    Personally, I'd like to see Burrow and Haskins get a lot of game reps once it gets out of hand. If Martell proves himself to be on their level, then I'd like to see him get game reps as well. 

It's a fine line to walk as far as team chemistry goes but if we're up 35-7  at half or early in the 3rd then I think it only helps keep the qb room happy and also develops all of the QBs for 2018 and beyond. 

I don't see a dedicated 2 QB system for this season (like we saw at Indiana under Wilson) but I could definitely see it in 2018.
  • QuadCitiesBuckeyeQuadCitiesBuckeye Posts: 147 Junior
    Future Tate gif?

I bet he can outrun a colony of gophers as well...

• DJDFDJDF Posts: 109 Junior
    Can't decide if this or Meyer's "maturity pills" comment about him is better news. It'd be awesome to see him prove his doubters wrong an become a solid offensive asset, and even better to see him do it professionally.
    Looks like Tate continues to impress 
  • BGmbaBuckeyeBGmbaBuckeye Posts: 15 Freshman
    I mean I can imagine that as an 18 yr old (mayb at the time 17) who was use to being the guy for years, coming here and being at the bottom on the depth chart, when all your buddies are still in HS, in cold Ohio in January, could be a lot to deal with. I'm glad he was mentally strong enough to get past it all. Good for him. 
  • WouldWould Posts: 85 Sophomore
    Barring injury he will redshirt and he indicated he would when he was recruited.
    And If he took the maturity pills like coach said he will want it and work on his skillsets, kill it on the scout team and show up next spring making people smile. He seems like a real fighter so taking the RS will be a tough pill with the never loosing pedigree.
    If he's good enough to play, he will play. They can save his RS in case of injury or other issues.

If he's the best back up, or one of the top 3 QBs, he should play. 
  • KnowmadzKnowmadz Posts: 29 Freshman
    Since there are 3 extremely talented quarterbacks in front of him (it seems) he should use his RS year and continue to grow and mature.
    Rumors are now that Burrow has a broken wrist. So 1 qb with experience.

Tates gonna play.  
  • JDunc686JDunc686 Posts: 57 Sophomore
    710 said:

Tates gonna play.  
    What's with the broken wrist rumors this offseason?
  • OldColumbusTownOldColumbusTown Posts: 46 Sophomore
    JDunc686 said:
    710 said:

Tates gonna play.  
    What's with the broken wrist rumors this offseason?
    People are gullible and fall for rumors easily. 
  • BucksLANBucksLAN Posts: 122 Junior
    710 said:

Tates gonna play.  
    You don't really believe that do you?
  • JDunc686JDunc686 Posts: 57 Sophomore
    710 said:

Tates gonna play.  
    It was real this time!