Hey folks - as a member of the Landof10 Ohio State community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)
- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, be respectful when engaging with fellow Buckeye fans.
- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

What freshmen do you think will play early?

BirmBirm Posts: 615 admin
Here are some of my thought on that very topic, including obvious choices like Chase Young and JK Dobbins.

Check it out.

Comments

• PotatodiggerPotatodigger Posts: 203 Junior
    Tate Martell. Very little depth at QB.

Honestly, though, I think he'll get in in goal line sets to give defenses a different look.
  • BuckeyeKnightBuckeyeKnight Posts: 204 Junior
    Crazy about Chase Young.  That DE room is ridiculously LOADED.

I really hope Dobbins lives up to my expectations.  I think he could be a great one.
  • BucksLANBucksLAN Posts: 122 Junior
    I do believe Tate Martell is a good pick. I could see the staff, namely Wilson, getting creative and bringing him in as a wildcat change of pace QB. I believe he ran that with Zander Diamont at Indiana. I think Tate's game right now is the read option, and judging by the spring game, he's got a little bit of Braxton in his moves.

I think JK Dobbins will receive the most playing time of all freshman, but that isn't shocking at all. Im going to go out on a limb and say Wyatt Davis, not because he'll be a start but because I think he's good enough to be a 2nd string at both guard spots, and thus receive some good playing time this year.
  • GullyFoyleGullyFoyle Posts: 28 Freshman
    What we've heard about Harris is encouraging.
    Browning may play if he gets healthy.
  • ddeck25ddeck25 Posts: 3 Freshman
    any one of the db's.  Wade or Okudah should get plenty of PT
  • Dalelliott1512Dalelliott1512 Posts: 53 Freshman
    I don't think u burn Tate' s RS for a few red zone opportunities, Jmo
  • JDunc686JDunc686 Posts: 57 Sophomore
    Is Brendon White still practicing with the WRs? It seems like he might provide a unique body type at WR if he stays with that group.
  • RyanGinnRyanGinn Posts: 158 mod
    JDunc686 said:
    Is Brendon White still practicing with the WRs? It seems like he might provide a unique body type at WR if he stays with that group.

With the safeties now
    I don't think u burn Tate' s RS for a few red zone opportunities, Jmo
    I doubt Tate wants to be here for 5 seasons. And not just red zone opportunities, but put him in there on the 3rd or 4th series to give the defense a different look. I think he's the best running threat at QB on the team and the zone read is his niche, and it takes away some carries off Barrett's legs.
  • saskbucksaskbuck Posts: 2 Freshman
    J.k. Dobbins I think will get some playing time, maybe Harris also since Meyer mentioned him. 
  • TheOtherBorenBroTheOtherBorenBro Posts: 22 Freshman
    I have a really hard time believing the staff would play Tate this year with the backup QB situation being as murky as it is.  I think if Baron can stay healthy that he'll rotate in to get experience for next year.
  • JDunc686JDunc686 Posts: 57 Sophomore
    RyanGinn said:
    JDunc686 said:

With the safeties now
    Thanks, Ryan. I think I remember you guys mentioning that now. I'm guessing he goes the Sam Hubbard/Darron Lee route where they spend the entire first year trying to figure out what position best suits Brendon.
  • 710710 Posts: 170 Junior
    Tate Martell will not play over Joe Burrow or Dwayne Haskins this year. He is way behind both of those QBs
  • QuadCitiesBuckeyeQuadCitiesBuckeye Posts: 147 Junior
    710 said:
    Tate Martell will not play over Joe Burrow or Dwayne Haskins this year. He is way behind both of those QBs
    Yup, he comes up a bit short compared to those guys
  • PotatodiggerPotatodigger Posts: 203 Junior
    710 said:
    No doubt Martell is behind both Burrow and Haskins. And he won't be the first or even second guy off the bench to replace an injured Barret. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Martell get in some limited action based solely on his unique skill set. Of the four QBs, Martell is certainly the best runner. I think it would be smart to trot him out there once in a while just to give defenses something to worry about. Plus, I really don't think Martell is the type to sit around for 2-3 years without seeing any playing time. If he's involved--even in a limited capacity--he may be more likely to stick around. In any event, I don't see Martell staying here for five years, so there's no point in a redshirt.
    710 said:
    No doubt Martell is behind both Burrow and Haskins. And he won't be the first or even second guy off the bench to replace an injured Barret. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Martell get in some limited action based solely on his unique skill set. Of the four QBs, Martell is certainly the best runner. I think it would be smart to trot him out there once in a while just to give defenses something to worry about. Plus, I really don't think Martell is the type to sit around for 2-3 years without seeing any playing time. If he's involved--even in a limited capacity--he may be more likely to stick around. In any event, I don't see Martell staying here for five years, so there's no point in a redshirt.
    That's why I brought Tate up, I think his skill set is unique and his forte right now is the read option game.  Put him in there at about the 3rd or 4th series, somewhere in the late 1st, early 2nd Q and spell JT a quick break. Let Tate run a wildcat package for an x number of snaps. It would look no different than Braxton Miller/Carlos Hyde zone read option/hurry up for 4-5 plays in quick succession. It's not him getting put above Haskins and Burrow on the depth chart, it's just a situational package that he's able to do more effectively than those 2 because he's a better runner and not there yet as a passer.
  • 710710 Posts: 170 Junior
    710 said:

I think you're vastly overrating Tate's athletic ability against D1 college football. He doesn't possess any skill that we can't get from Barrett. 

I also don't believe there is a place in our offense ahead of Burrow or Haskins, who are both capable of running themselves. If Tate came in he would simply be a gadget who everyone knew was going to run 90% of the time. It would be exactly like Braxton was in 15, and it won't be anymore productive than Barrett. 

And I don't care if Martell doesn't want to be here for 5 years, hell be here for at least 4 and it's the prudent decision to save his eligibility when he is clearly the 4th qb on the depth chart. 

Hes not going to play unless JT and one of Burrow or Haskins go down. 
  • ohiobigteeohiobigtee Posts: 4 Freshman
    Birm said:
    Here are some of my thought on that very topic, including obvious choices like Chase Young and JK Dobbins.

Check it out.
    Young and Dobbins are great choices but i like Davis and Meyer
  • mitchmcdonoughmitchmcdonough Posts: 17 Freshman
    I stillll think trevon grimes is going to show glimpses this year and be a star by year 2