Hey folks - as a member of the Landof10 Ohio State community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)
- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, be respectful when engaging with fellow Buckeye fans.
- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

Basketball PF/C Recruiting

sb97sb97 Posts: 67 Freshman
So far there seems to be a lot of emphasis on shoring up the Backcourt for the basketbucks.  We are also pretty thin on the front court as well.  Are there any names we should be watching for in terms of bigs for the 2018 recruiting cycle?  I feel like a lot of the information out there on public recruiting sites is outdated due to the coaching staff change. 

Comments

• 710710 Posts: 170 Junior
    First and foremost Micah Potter needs to grow into his frame and play big. 

Kyle Young needs to provide as much size as he can as a freshman. 

I would assume that Holtmann has stayed in contact with the bigs he was recruiting at butler. 
    Also, don't sleep on Kaleb  Wesson. He's a big man too
  • sb97sb97 Posts: 67 Freshman

710 said:
    First and foremost Micah Potter needs to grow into his frame and play big. 

Kyle Young needs to provide as much size as he can as a freshman. 

I would assume that Holtmann has stayed in contact with the bigs he was recruiting at butler. 
    yeah, I was looking through some of the targets associated with Butler and didnt see a lot of names for PF/C etc.  My hope is that using the increased visibility of Ohio State maybe he is working on a few new names.  

I know it is still way early in the process.  At this point, I am happy with the recruiting progress Holtman and co have made.  I am just curious. 
    710 said:
    All of this is true but it still leaves the Buckeyes with only two centers on the roster.  One of whom has openly stated that he is a better fit as a 4. With an injury or foul trouble, we could easily be forced into "small ball" with KBD or Andre Wesson having to guard the center position for extended periods. 

There isn't really an answer on the roster. Its another hole that needs to be filled.
    sb97 said:
    710 said:
    All of this is true but it still leaves the Buckeyes with only two centers on the roster.  One of whom has openly stated that he is a better fit as a 4. With an injury or foul trouble, we could easily be forced into "small ball" with KBD or Andre Wesson having to guard the center position for extended periods. 

There isn't really an answer on the roster. Its another hole that needs to be filled.

Although he is all of 6'5 on a good day, Tate is one of our better interior defenders because of his motor 
    I saw Steve Helwagon put out an article with a blurb about 55-60ish recruits on the radar.  TBH, it looks like the focus is exclusively on the backcourt even for the 2018 class. 
    I mean, just sheer numbers wise there will be more guards and forwards than elite centers. I hope he doesn't offer an amir Williams just because he has size. 

And the college game doesn't necessarily demand size. UNC didn't have a center listed on their roster last year when the won the title, neither did Nova the year before when they won. 

Without a doubt we lack size and depth, but we're talking about an inch or two when it comes to Potter, Wesson, and Young. 

What we really need is for those 3 young players to grow and develop under the new sc coach and be effective down low. 

I wouldn't expect to see more than 1 big man added in the 18 class. 
    edited July 13
    710 said:
    I mean, just sheer numbers wise there will be more guards and forwards than elite centers. I hope he doesn't offer an amir Williams just because he has size. 

And the college game doesn't necessarily demand size. UNC didn't have a center listed on their roster last year when the won the title, neither did Nova the year before when they won. 

Without a doubt we lack size and depth, but we're talking about an inch or two when it comes to Potter, Wesson, and Young. 

What we really need is for those 3 young players to grow and develop under the new sc coach and be effective down low. 

I wouldn't expect to see more than 1 big man added in the 18 class. 
    Wow a lot to respond to here: 

UNC may not have listed anyone at center but they had 5 players listed at 6'8" or taller.  Villanova had three players listed at 6'8" and another at 6'7".  In both cases, more than half of their bigs were upper classmen.  Honestly, a major college program should be bringing in at least one big in every class (assuming they have balanced classes). 

I agree that I dont want to see another guy like Amir but I wouldn't mind seeing another David Bell type project.  Or even better, another Matt Terwilliger type.

I would be OK with only one big in 2018 though I would prefer two.  So back to the original point of this thread.  Are there any names we should be looking for?

Edit: Spelling
  • jumarjumar Posts: 245 Junior
    Or even better, another Matt Terwilliger type.

Haven't heard that name in a long time. He wasn't anytging special but he played hard. Playing hard has been lacking the last few years.
    jumar said:

Haven't heard that name in a long time. He wasn't anytging special but he played hard. Playing hard has been lacking the last few years.

That dude dated the best looking osu cheerleader too. Hung out with him a few times. Soft spoken, good guy. 
  • jumarjumar Posts: 245 Junior
    710 said:
    jumar said: 

That dude dated the best looking osu cheerleader too. Hung out with him a few times. Soft spoken, good guy. 
    His mom is from my area and I am friends with one of his cousins. Everything I heard about him was positive.
    I also don't think you're going to have to worry about playing hard under Holtmann. 

Since we're pretty thin on the boards I'll keep the talking topic here but Tim and Beanie were talking on 97.1 today about I guess a Butler beat writer wrote a not so nice article about Holtmann's exit centered mostly around a tweet he sent out about being ready to go with butler and he left less than a day later. 

Holtmann reached out to the writer to give his side. He basically apologized for the tweet and said how much butler meant to him and how he regrets how he left and so on.

What other coach would do that? T&B went on to say that  we lucked into Holtmann (true) but were **** fortunate to have him. 
    Also anyone listen to the Potter interview? **** was going on with Thad's program if they weren't fully equipped with a nutritionist and S&C coach that gave a dook?
    We can't even use the acronym W T F? 
    jumar said:

There are two things that stand out to me about Terwilliger.  The first is how much he improved during his four years here.  The second was from Mark Titus' book.  Titus called him by far the toughest player on the team.  

As 710 posted earlier in the thread there are far more elite guards and forwards than big men. This is why I like the idea of bringing in one or two bigs that are projects and will need time to develop.  To be clear that is one or two on the roster, not in one recruiting class. :)
    710 said:
    I also don't think you're going to have to worry about playing hard under Holtmann. 

Since we're pretty thin on the boards I'll keep the talking topic here but Tim and Beanie were talking on 97.1 today about I guess a Butler beat writer wrote a not so nice article about Holtmann's exit centered mostly around a tweet he sent out about being ready to go with butler and he left less than a day later. 

Holtmann reached out to the writer to give his side. He basically apologized for the tweet and said how much butler meant to him and how he regrets how he left and so on.

What other coach would do that? T&B went on to say that  we lucked into Holtmann (true) but were **** fortunate to have him. 
    I really like the way Holtmann carries himself. 
    710 said:
    Also anyone listen to the Potter interview? **** was going on with Thad's program if they weren't fully equipped with a nutritionist and S&C coach that gave a dook?
    I really liked Thad as coach but it is clear that things have been slipping.  My hope is that a few small changes make a big impact.  I mean this roster is thin and certainly has holes but I feel like there is talent there. 
    Well, the name Riley Battin emerged!
  • WouldWould Posts: 85 Sophomore
    I am starting to like our position now, it will be rough this year. But owning a huge carrot
    (playing time) to dangle in front of next years class is pleasant to ponder.

Looks like Birm mentioned Jaxson Hayes as a name to watch in a recent article.